Saturday, January 17, 2009

Almost "Patternless" Easy Knit Bag Pattern

This is really an almost "patternless" pattern because it is so versatile. You can change the yarn & needles and make it any way you want. I made one quick & easy with two strands of worsted weight yarn and # 13 needles but you could use any yarn and needles, just change the number of stitches on rows 2 and 7 to make a larger or smaller bag. I adapted this from a dishcloth pattern. You may recognize it :) I will give the stitch numbers I used.



Cast on 4 .
Row 1: Knit 2, increase by yarn over, knit to end
Row 2: repeat row 1 until you have 26 stitches on needle
Row 3: knit 1, knit 2 together, yarn over , knit 2 together, knit to end of row
Row 4: repeat row 3 until you have 4 stitches on needle
Row 5 (handle) : knit across all stitches until handle is desired length- mine was 20 inches for a shoulder length strap
Row 6: Knit 2, increase by yarn over, knit to end
Row 7: repeat row 6 until you have 26 stitches on needle
Row 8: knit 1, knit 2 together, yarn over , knit 2 together, knit to end of row
Row 9: repeat row 3 until you have 4 stitches on needle
Bind off.

With right sides of bag together, making sure not to twist handle, sew together with a blunt yarn needle. I sewed up the bottom sides of the diamond shape and halfway up the top sides to make a little opening for my daughter's hands.

Here are some pictures I took in the process of making a mini bag for an American Girl (using size 10 needles and 16 stitches on rows 2 and 7). You can make these any size by changing the needles or number of stitches on rows 2 and 7. You could also do a seed stitch or alternate knit and purl rows for a different look. This would be great felted too!

5 comments:

Maki said...

This post makes me really want to learn how to knit.....

Thank you so much for supporting my big day past Wednesday and sharing your thoughts about the kids.

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend and stay in touch!!

xo

L said...

Hi! Thank you for stopping by my blog, I am feeling lots of SITSta love! I just told a friend of mine that I really want to try scrap booking even though I am not a creative type. I think it would be a good thing to leave my kids. I will keep checking in with your journey.

Rebecca Jo said...

Love the easy knits....

Lesley said...

I so wish I could knit...I think it looks like a lot of fun....but here is some SITS love comin y our way....

Tabitha Blue said...

Oh how cool!! I still want to learn!!

:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails